Skip to main content

I'm the Captain Now


Another shit movie review,(shit as in my review not the film)

So yesterday I went to see Captain Marvel and if you read my last post you'll know it was one of my most anticipated films of this year. I went to go see it on Friday but my cinema was closed and then on Saturday I was busy getting drunk at the park so it had to be Sunday.

 I kept myself updated with the controversies surrounding the film (controversies quite similar to the most recent Star Wars movie). People were boycotting the film due to its 'feminist agenda', but I like to make up my own mind, and after watching, I really didn't get any vibes of any sort of agenda, however, for me the movie isn't without issues.

I'll start off with the good

The relationship between  Nick Fury and Captain Marvel (Samuel L Jackson and Brie Larson) was entertaining but the relationship between Nick Fury and the cat was perhaps my favourite part of the whole film (apart from one aspect i'll mention in the negatives).

Normally, superhero origin films drag, but as the film used a technique similar to Deadpool, by having her already 'powered up' and using flashbacks, the film seemed to move quickly and consistently.

the cast, humour, music and action scenes were all entertaining, but compared to other Marvel films, I've definitely seen better.

I'd also say there are two main twists in the film, and both of them did surprise me but I can imagine people being able to figure them out easily.

and now the bad

Every so often Marvel will throw out a film that acts as filler until a main bigboi film, and sometimes these can be incredible (Thor Ragnarok, Captain America: The Winter Soldier), but this film for me sits among the average (Ant-Man and the Wasp, Doctor Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy 2).

Also, as for the character of Captain Marvel, Brie Larson does a great job but she is sometimes quite dull and is RIDICULOUSLY overpowered by the end of the film. Which has perhaps taken away any real threat from Avengers Endgame because she should be able to stop Thanos easily by the looks of things. It's no fun to watch a hero who has no weaknesses, the film lacks suspense. 

My next few critiques contain spoilers so if you haven't seen it yet cya bye catch you later

The fact  Nick Fury loses his eye to the cat is ridiculous and totally ruins the badassery of this scene in Captain America: The Winter Soldier 
like, he was scratched by a cat??? Also ruins him saying 'Last time I trusted someone I lost an eye'.

And am not gonna get into him coming up with getting the name  'Avengers' from a photograph, that was information that never needed justified and they did it in a really stupid way.

Overall, I liked it, not amazing not bad, good time defo recommend but understand peoples complaints.

Regards,
Zach



Comments