Skip to main content

Review of the Jedi – The Death of Stalin (2017)


This is why I shouldn’t see films that I’m too stupid for…

Last night my friend and I decided to try out ‘screen unseen’, an offer from Odeon where you pay £5 for a ticket, but don’t know what film you’re going to see.  The film ended up being ‘The Death of Stalin’, starring Steve Buscemi, Simon Russell Beale and Jeffrey Tambor (among many others), and is directed by Armando Iannucci.  The film, funnily enough, is about the death of Joseph Stalin and the chaos of the regime after his death.

As someone who finds absolutely zero enjoyment in historical films, I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered the film is actually a satire, rather than a drama. However, aside from some funny jokes, I found the film to be very confusing, and at times boring.

However, I’ll start with the pros: Steve Buscemi  obvs, and as mentioned previously, the film is funny (people laughed a lot more than I did but that’s probably because I’m quite slow and jokes often go over my head), with the funniest performance coming from Jason Isaacs who played soviet army general Georgy Zhukov.

However, as someone who is pretty much fully clueless about the Russian revolution, I was incredibly lost watching this film as you definitely need prior knowledge of the communist party/ Soviet Union. Due to my lack of knowledge I found the film to be very confusing, and found my mind wandering during many scenes.

I thought about how I’d like my funeral to be as elaborate as Stalin’s, wondered if I could pull off wearing one of those cool Russian hats, and also kept thinking about how a character’s glasses could stay on their face without legs.

This film most definitely isn’t as bad as I’m making it out to be, critics and fans alike seem to be very impressed with it, but if you’re like me and prefer simple films then this one probably isn’t for you. I like to think that if seeing this film wasn't a surprise, I'd maybe have done some research.

Stalin didn’t die of boredom, but I think I nearly did.

Overall Grade: 43%





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hungover Rant about X-Men Movies

Without a single doubt, the GIMPIEST thing I've ever produced: I'm running out of blog ideas, haven't been to the cinema in a while and Fox's treatment of the X-Men has always annoyed me so I guess here we go. Again, nobody will read this- but for as long as I can remember the X-Men have always been my favourite superhero team. Mutants are 2929829 times cooler than any Avenger and when I was a young catholic schoolboy I used to pray for superpowers, probably why God hates me and doesn't answer any of my adult prayers.  But yeah, I'm probably gonna be rather opinionated on the subject because I'm cLuEd uP, eDuCaTeD aNd, as mentioned, extremely hungover.  Characters I understand not everything in a superhero film can be comic book accurate, and it doesn't always need to be, however, there are so many things the X-Men comics do right , that the studio ignores when making the movies. Here are some character nitpicks, you bored yet?

I see you shiver with antici........PATION

Rocky Horror image and title NOT related to blog content  yo, me again Thought i'd list the films coming out this year that i'm super excited about, nobody cares but whatever. Just means i have a list to refer back to. About 65% of this list is superhero films. so in no particular order: we'll start with Captain Marvel (in cinemas 8 March 2019) mostly just want to see because i've seen every other Marvel movie and it would almost be rude not to, but the real excitement is for... Avengers Endgame (in cinemas 25 April 2019) Infinity War was amazing, can't wait to see everyone get brought back to life bc nobody ever dies in a Marvel movie.  This also comes out a day later in Spain (which is where i'll be at the time), and I have a friend who is cruelly threatening to spoil it for me  because they'll see it first, so if you are reading this blog, 'friend', am not even kidding al never speak to you ever again. Sh

Hi, How Do I Stop Hyperventilating Over Avengers: Endgame?

We all know I don't like my blog but I can't deny I'm so excited to write about this one . Seen it last night, if I think about certain parts for longer than 20 seconds I start crying again so I guess you could say it's made an impact. There's so much I want to say, unusual from me I know. So I'm just gonna list things and it will be a massive ramble but I have so many thoughts and things to say and words to type and holy fuck. SPOILER ALERT, LEGIT SO SO SO MANY I'll start with the marketing of the movie, it was GENIUS, gave hardly any of the plot away, showed nothing from the final battle which made room for SO many surprises. Marvel clearly realised everyone was gonna see it no matter what they showed in the trailers, so thank the lord they kept everything mostly a secret. Also amazing how within the first 20 minutes they completely subverted expectations, surely I can't be the only one who assumed they'd time travel with the s